cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

can not login pix515-E after upgrade from 7.11 to 8.0.4

cciesec2011
Level 3
Level 3

I have a pair of pix515-E running in Active/Standby configuration with version 7.11.  both my telnet and enable password of the pix is cisco/cisco.

After upgrading the pix515-E to version 8.0.4, I can no longer telnet into the Pix from the inside (telnet 0 0 inside) with the password cisco.  From console, I can not get into the enable mode with the password cisco.

Anyone knows why?

11 Replies 11

Bastien Migette
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Looks like device configuration was erased.

Try to press 'enter' when you see 'password:' prompt (blank password), since it is the default password.

I already tried that before asking this question in the forum.

Anymore ideas?

Does it come up with a username prompt or just password prompt?

if username try "pix" and password "cisco"

-KS

On the console at the > prompt, when I type enable, it just ask me for the password, when I type "cisco", it FAILED.

Anymore ideas?

Don't type anything for a password. Just hit enter. That should work.

Seems like you have already tried that so, password recovery is our option looks like...

-KS

I know how to do the password recovery option but this is a production environment and that mean there will be down time for this which is not something I want.

My original question is "why" it is doing this?  In other words, after upgrading the code from 7.11 to 8.04, the login failed.

hmm.. if you've defined a username and password on the device and your running-config is still intact, you could try using the 'login' command at the enable prompt as follows:

pix>login

username:

password:

see if that helps!

That is a great idea.

Try it out and let us know.

-KS

Let me try to get my point across:

- I ONLY have "password cisco" and "enable password cisco" in the configuration when running version 7.1.1

- I did NOT define any username in the Pix configuration when running version 7.1.1

- After upgrading to version 8.0.4, from the console prompt, when I type "enable", it just prompts me for the password.

anymore ideas why I could NOT login after the code upgrade from 7.1.1 to 8.0.4?

I believe that there was some config change that had happened that you may not be aware of.

Here is the release note link for the codes 7x. and 8.x you can read about open and closed caveats.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_release_notes_list.html

I have not heard of this issue and I am unable to find any known defects to this effect either.

Good luck.

-KS

I've been able to re-produce this issue.  Therefore, I think it is a bug.

As far as change in the configuration that I may not be aware of, that is not the case because I am the only person who has access to this pix and I did a reboot on BOTH firewall and perform a failover to make sure that both were running version the same version 7.1.1 and that I could log in with the password cisco/cisco from both telnet and from console.  After that, I perform an upgrade and I could no longer login

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card