cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't access shared drive.....

toddyboman
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the process of changing our network.....

So far I have put an ASA 5510 in place.  The ASA is set to a ppoe connection and dchp's ip to all pc in the office.  That all works fine.....The problem is connecting and staying connected to the shared drive on PC#1

PC#1 now cannot be accessed by any computer. 

However I can restart PC#1 and every office pc will be able to access it and its file.....but within an hour or so no one will be able to connect to PC#1.

Anyone have any ideas......The only change that has taken place is the AS5510....so is there some setting on that that is causing the hiccup...

Thanks!!!

17 Replies 17

Hello Toddy,

When the connection is not working from your computer please do a arp -a from the command prompt, check the MAC address of the computer that has the shared and find it on the network.

This issues are caused 99% of the times for duplicate IP's on the network, the rest 1% correspond to any other device doing proxy arp.

Hope it helps.

Mike.

Mike

like someone said above for 2-pcs in same subnet FW does not come into play and the only thing causing the trouble could be ASA proxying for other PC, who so ever respond first (pc-2 or ASA) to the query of PC-1 will get its arp updated on PC-1, that is why it may be intermittent

Can you disable sysopt noproxyarp interface inside ?

Also paste the snippet of show run static here

Doing an arp -a on my pc(pc-2) that cannot access the shared drive on pc-1 I see....

ip ------192.168.10.18----------physical address -------00-13-72-84-a2-5e-------dynamic

NOW on pc-1 I see the following info...

ip address - 192.168.10.18

physical address - 00-13-72-84-A2-5E

I can ping pc-1 from pc-2.

BUT cannot access the pc1 from pc2.....I see the windows cannot access \\server

IF/When I restart pc-1 everything works.....I can access the shared drive.   And after the restart ip address and physical address on pc-1 are the same....and pc-2 shows teh same after the arp -a command....

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card