cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot pint outside Subinterfaces in ASA 5510 from remote location.

ccsoofficelan
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I don know if anyone could help me... the following i

s my configuration....

INTERFACE ETHERNET 0/0

NO IP ADDRESS

NO NAMEIF

NO SHUT

INTERFACE ETHERNET 0/0.1

IP ADDRESS 192.168.21.0 255.255.255.248

NAMEIF OUTSIDE1

NO SHUT

VLAN 70

INTERFACE ETHERNET 0/0.2

IP ADDRESS 192.168.21.17 255.255.255.248

NAMEIF OUTSIDE2

NO SHUT

VLAN 80

Problem is that i cannot ping the interface 0/0.1 from my remote link which is connected to this outside. Is there anything i am missing...?

When assign the outside ip address then it is pingable. Otherwise not.....doi have to assign an ip on the 0/0 interface.....? or what.....

4 Replies 4

Hi,

The device that is directly connected to the ASA physical interface 0/0 is configured as a trunk correctly when configuring the subinterfaces?

When you assign the IP to the physical interface, it works.

When you assign the IP to the subinterface... make sure that you have the other side configured as a trunk.

Federico.

Well it is connected to a remote location via siemens equipment.

ie

firewall ----- siemens equip ---- remote server

i dont know if i can enable trunking on the siemens equipment. ........do u advise anything else... ?

Can't really tell...

But if you enable subinterfaces on the ASA, then the physical interface is configured as trunk....

This means that if the other end of the connection is not set as a trunk, the link will not function properly.

Federico.

well there are two remote location connecting to my one outside interface. And due to the fact i have limited ports. I wanted to separate the traffic based on vlan which i could do through subinterface by vlan assignment...

is there any other way of separating the traffic..

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card