Views
Helpful
Replies

Checking console connection on ASA

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all,

Need to confirm which config i should look for to make sure ASA  has console connection enabled

i check on ASDM  under AAA  access serial option is not checked.

What should i look in running config to make sure console is enabled?

thanks

mahesh

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

To my understanding Console connection is ALWAYS enabled.

The main question is probably how the authentication for it is configured.

Also you can define the timeout value of the console connection. I think the default setting is "0" which means the management connection through console will never timeout

- Jouni

View solution in original post

Also,

Since you dont see the setting "checked" under ASDM that to my understanding just means that the Console connection doesnt use any external AAA server for authentication OR doesnt use local username/password to authenticate.

You should be able to get to the command prompt without giving any credentials. You will though have to give an enable password naturally when using the command "enable"

- Jouni

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

To my understanding Console connection is ALWAYS enabled.

The main question is probably how the authentication for it is configured.

Also you can define the timeout value of the console connection. I think the default setting is "0" which means the management connection through console will never timeout

- Jouni

Also,

Since you dont see the setting "checked" under ASDM that to my understanding just means that the Console connection doesnt use any external AAA server for authentication OR doesnt use local username/password to authenticate.

You should be able to get to the command prompt without giving any credentials. You will though have to give an enable password naturally when using the command "enable"

- Jouni

Hi Jouni,

You were spot on when i console to ASA  it gave me command prompt with ASA  hostname.

Seems it is enabled by default.

When i checked running config i was looking aaa  authen serial command and it was not there

As per you it is used if you need authentication by local  user name or AAA authen.

Best regards

MAhesh

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card