Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1861 - Zoen Based Firewall Issues

nickrourke
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

having a very strange problem with a Cisco 1861 running - Cisco IOS Software, C1861 Software (C1861-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(24)T5

The issue  -

I have suddenly started to get performance issues with downloads and access through the ZBF. Without the firewall enabled and just having NAT enabled and routing  , downloads perform as expected - ( have been using Itunes download as test file ) - with the ZBF enabled , and the necessary rules installed to inspect & allow traffic - downloads stall - and the only way to get the downlaod to start again is to pause , then resume. The stalls are anything between the first 25 - 120 secs.

I have debugged and performed packet traces - but cant see anything untoward. I have also placed another router ( just a cheap Belkin )  on the ADSL service and again , the downloads work as expected.

one further thing to add is that when im tunneling through the firewall ( VPN ) , then downloads do work as expected - suggesting that the issue is with native HTTP(s) traffic......

I have upgraded from T4 to T5 - and the symptons still remain - I am thinking that these may have been introduced when i upgraded to T4 a few monthes ago.

any help would be gratefully appreicated.....

cheers

Nick

2 Replies 2

Maykol Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nick,

Can you grab the ip inspect log drop-pkt ? Put that command in on global configuration mode, then put the command "do term mon". Try to download a file and grab the logs and check if the firewall is dropping any packets.

Cheers

Mike

Mike

Greetings,

I am having the same issue and I went ahead and did what you suggested.  See below, off hand it does not look like things are going nuts or anything just some out of sequence packets.

Jul 11 20:07:14.741 EDT: %FW-6-DROP_PKT: Dropping tcp session 96.7.40.26:80 172.xxx.xxx.xxx:4601  due to  Out-Of-Order Segment with ip ident 0

Jul 11 20:07:50.181 EDT: %FW-6-DROP_PKT: Dropping tcp session 96.7.40.26:80 172.xxx.xxx.xxx::4601  due to  Out-Of-Order Segment with ip ident 0

Jul 11 20:08:30.213 EDT: %FW-6-DROP_PKT: Dropping tcp session 96.7.40.26:80 172.xxx.xxx.xxx::4601  due to  Out-Of-Order Segment with ip ident 0

Any suggestions would be helpful.  I did read someone said there are performance issue with the ZBF, but I am not sure.

-mike

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card