Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 5525 Licencing

vishal.vadia1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need some help with a firewall that is in production. It's a pair of Cisco 5525 running in active/active, which has the base features installed along with a VPN Premium licence. The issue is the firewall only does ssh1 and not sshv2 because it only supports VPN-DES and not VPN-3DES-AES. I've followed the Cisco procedure and downloaded the "Optional license: Strong (3DES/AES)" licence.

The concern I have is if I apply the optional licence it could overwrite any existing licences I have on the firewall, I have been googling this and all I can find is "You can mix and match licenses, for example, the 10 security context license plus the Strong Encryption license; or the 500 Clientless SSL VPN license plus the GTP/GPRS license; or all four licenses together." but no solid confirmation its ok to apply the licence without concern.

Is there any cisco documents which provide the answer?

ref: 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/asa_84_cli_config/intro_license.html#wp2162912

1 Reply 1

"Normally" your licenses should merge without any problems. But there are situations where features are deactivated.

Look at what is in the new license. If there is a used feature marked "disabled", then you'll face problems there. In that case you have to mail to licensing@cisco.com to get a license where your features are not disabled.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card