Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA 5508-x Fail-over

NetzKing
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

I have two ASA in Active/Standby but they support Active/Active. My two Internet leased line directly connected to both ASA from L2 switch. and in LAN i have only single network. in this case i just want to use both ISP simultaneously to load balance internet traffic. How can i do the same? Do i need to configure route map? Or how can i do this to configure both ASA in Active/Active cluster?  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

In addition to suggestions from experts, check below posting. Both options addressed by experts clearly with doc links..

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/firewalling/active-active-or-active-standby/td-p/1993940

hth

MS

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

mbilgrav
Level 3
Level 3
As such, this is not a fail-over question.
I think your issue, and question, is around the routing towards internet. Normally in ASA you would have one default route (0.0.0.0) towards internet, and in cases with dual ISPs, you are limited to whatever option the ISP has. Like one single ISP can provide option for protected circuits etc. If you have two different ISP, then you option woudl be to install router(s) infront of ASA and using BGP peering with your ISPs to obtain internet routing, then as such you can get rid of the default route issue, as BPG will route for you.
One ASA option is to use tracking, and then based on action, change routes within ASA.

Agreed.

Now how can use both the link simultaneously without using BGP or L3 device?

I think you are missing the point. you cant use two default routes at the same time.
Should you have two route with same cost/metric etc, you would end up in a round-robin setup, which may introduce asymmetric routing, which will impact performace severly.
What you can do is to have one link as backup for the other.

Depending upon use-case - One other scenario, could be to install an Explicit webcaching proxy, which then holds one ISP link, and the other ISP link is then used for non Proxy traffic, like f.ex. hosting-services.
This way your regular users, would use the Proxy for surfing the webz, and your other hosting-services are using the other link.
This would also improve you overall security level for endpoints. Check out the Cisco WSA series.

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

In addition to suggestions from experts, check below posting. Both options addressed by experts clearly with doc links..

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/firewalling/active-active-or-active-standby/td-p/1993940

hth

MS

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card