Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA 5516-x IP Issue

usergoogle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have purchased a new Cisco ASA 5516-x Box that has come with the FTD image. As per the manual I had connected the Management Interface, Inside (1/2) and a PC to a Switch.

The Box by default came with 192.168.45.1 assigned to it's inside interface , but there was no IP for the management interface.

I used the configure network ipv4 manual 192.168.45.45 255.255.255.0 192.168.45.1 command to assign an IP to the Management interfcae.

Once I completed it, I was able to access the Device management page through https://192.168.45.45. I went inside the page and assigned 192.168.1.1 to the inside interface. 

After I did it , I connected another machine to the switch and assigned an ip in the 192.168.1.0 series but much to my surprise I was not able to ping to 192.168.1.1. I accessed the console to see the interface settings and was able to notice 192.168.45.1 still assigned to the inside interface (But in the device management page it showed the IP 192.168.1.1 assigned to it)

What is the actual issue and why is the device showing different IPs in the CLI and the device management page??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Did you deploy the change after making it in the FDM GUI?  FDM is different from ASDM that way - a change isn't sent to the running configuration until you deploy it. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Did you deploy the change after making it in the FDM GUI?  FDM is different from ASDM that way - a change isn't sent to the running configuration until you deploy it. 

Than you for your valuable suggestion

Where is the option in the device management to deploy it?? Can you please elaborate the options

There should be an icon in the upper right of the page. It is described here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/620/fdm/fptd-fdm-config-guide-620/fptd-fdm-get-started.html#task_BEE4E37389B64E518EE91FF3824476A9

Got the option, I did not deploy it as you had suggested, will try the same and give you the feedback

Thank you so much for your solution it worked out as you had suggested.

I have setup and run everything. I am now facing an issue with URL filtering.

When I create a deny rule to block Youtube application or the Streaming media in the policies tab, the Internet doesn't work properly and Firewall blocks most of the Websites.

I contacted the TAC and he suggested me to upgrade the FTD from 6.1 to 6.2., telling that there was a bug in the 6.1 version

Is that the only solution or is there a workaround for it??

Moreover I am not able to register the license using my Smart account token..

Are these interlinked to any sort of a bug??? That's what the TAC guy said..But I would like to have a suggestion from you...

If the TAC is advising an upgrade they are certainly in a better position to do so having seen your issue first hand. We generally recommend the latest version (currently 6.2.0.2 for your platform).

As far as smart licensing, I believe you were using the on-box FirePOWER Device Manager. Have you first registered your device using a token from your portal?

Thank you for your reply,

I generated a token from my smart account and pasted the key in the Smart-account registration of my FTD Box, it doesn't get registered and when I check the task list option, it shows as communication send error..

I would also be very obliged if you can share me the procedure to upgrade the FTD from 6.1 to 6.2..Is it like running a patch or should I completely install the 6.2 FTD

Does your FTD management address have Internet access and is is able to resolve DNS?

That is required in order to avoid the "communication send error". I had that myself on my home lab. Once I fixed those issues, the smart license registration worked fine.

6.1 to 6.2 on FTD (when using the local FirePOWER Device Manager or FDM) requires you download and copy the file onto your FTD Appliance manually. Instructions are in the FDM GUI under system updates.

Unfortunately it only supports scp and http - not ftp. I had to install a free scp server on my workstation and was then able to copy the file.

Once you get to 6.2, subsequent updates can be done completely via the FDM GUI.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card