cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco asa 5580-20 activation key

michellp
Level 1
Level 1

Recently we had a problem with our asa 5580-20. To resolve the motherboard was replaced. The device seems to be working again but when I boot up I get stuck at the activation key.

Enter Activation Key
    Part 1 of 5:
    Part 2 of 5:
    Part 3 of 5:
    Part 4 of 5:
    Part 5 of 5:
This activation key is not valid.

I enter the activation key as it was before (I had saved this in a text file) but it keeps saying that the key is not valid. I cannot get passed this step. After some time or a couple of attempts the device reboots and the same thing happens again.

What I do notice is that the serial number is different. Can this be because of the new motherboard? I suppose it is. If yes, then I my need to have different activation keys, which brings me to the next question, how do I get those?

Rgds,

3 Replies 3

Bogdan Nita
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can use the licensing portal (cisco.com/go/licensing) to transfer the license from one device to another. If you can connect with the account from which the license was fulfilled you will be able to see the license.

If you are using a different account you can try to import the license.

If that does not work, you can open a ticket with licensing by sending an email at licensing@cisco.com

HTH

Bogdan

Hi Bogdan,

Thank you for your answer. I'm sure you are right. Not having a smart contract kind of complicates things. I an in contact with Cisco and hoping they can still help us. Someone  mentioned to me the following:

If you have problems with the license you must update the BIOS. In the BIOS / Advanced option, you can update the serial number and product ID. With the right serial number the problem is probably solved.

I've never heard about this option, is this possible ?!?!

Hi Michell,

Theoretically it is possible, but I never attempted it.

Cisco uses rommon as bootstrap program and it certainly does not allow modifying the sn from advanced options.

According to Cisco you you are entitled to a license transfer in case of hardware failure:

• The activation key is tied to the serial number of the device. Feature licenses cannot be transferred between devices (except in the case of a hardware failure). If you have to replace your device due to a hardware failure, and it is covered by Cisco TAC, contact the Cisco Licensing Team to have your existing license transferred to the new serial number. The Cisco Licensing Team will ask for the Product Authorization Key reference number and existing serial number.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa93/configuration/general/asa-general-cli/intro-license.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card