cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA OPSF Reference Bandwidth

bgl-group
Level 1
Level 1

We are shortly upgrading some of our inter-site links from 1Gb to 10Gb. As part of that work I will be changing the reference bandwidth on the core switches from 2Gb to 100Gb (giving a bit of headroom over the 10GB circuits as we already have some 20GB links).

This is nice and easy all I have to do is enter the OSPF process and type auto-cost reference-bandwidth 100 Gbps.

However we also have a large number of ASA firewalls running as part of OSPF - these all seem to be using a reference bandwidth of 100Mbps. as you can see in the screen extract below
PEG-VFW01/peg-dfg-vfw01# sh ospf

Routing Process "ospf 1" with ID 172.31.22.1
Start time: 17:03:37.230, Time elapsed: 6w1d
(lines omitted)
Reference bandwidth unit is 100 mbps

How can I change the reference bandwidth to 100Gbps. Looking at the cisco documentation it appears you can do that using OSPF V3 but as I am not running IPV6 I don't want or need to enable that.

Any suggestions welcome?

Thanks

GIles

1 Reply 1

bgl-group
Level 1
Level 1

An update to this one. After posting the question here, I also put it to my service company - who passed it onto TAC.

In summary

It is not possible to change it. Even on the latest ASA firmware (9.8) the limitation is still there. Obviously cisco don't expect firewalls to make OSPF routing decisions based on high bandwidth costs.

You could do it manually but that will be an admin pain....

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card