Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA System Administrator account expiry

Colin Scales
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am looking for a way to setup a 90 day system administrator password expiry for my ASA post 8.3 firewall.

Essentially what I am trying to achieve is the following. Have the password expire after the set period, prompting the user to input a new password at the ASA prompt directly.

I have setup a Radius server on Windows 2008 for the authentication piece but it does not allow for the prompt to change password on the ASA once expired. This would require a system admin to login to the Windows box to re-enable the said account.

My question and hope is that there is some way of doing this so that the ASA can populate the backend authentication node once the user has changed their password on the ASA CLI prompt and by doing so, restart the 90 day period.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Leo,

The feature has been added on 9.1.x train is from version 9.1.2 and onwards. You need to upgrade the ASA to respective version in order to get the support for the same.

The feature is not supported on version 9.1.1. Please find the below release notes for your reference as well.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa91/release/notes/asarn91.html#pgfId-685480

Regards
Pradyumna

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

pradypan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Leo,

As per your query I understand that you are looking for managing the passwords for administrator users on ASA to have a lifetime value set on the same. The password policies can be managed on ASA supported from version 8.4.4.1 onwards.

Please refer the document for the same. I think this will fulfil your requirement.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/asa_84_cli_config/access_aaa.html#wp1116630

Regards

Pradyumna

Hi Pradyumna,

Thank you for such a quick response.

I am running the following version of IOS

System image file is "disk0:/asa911-smp-k8.bin"

Unfortunately the command line does not allow for any password-policy type commands.

The only password command that appears to be allowed from global configuration mode is "password encryption aes"

What am I missing here?

Thanks again.

Hi Leo,

The feature has been added on 9.1.x train is from version 9.1.2 and onwards. You need to upgrade the ASA to respective version in order to get the support for the same.

The feature is not supported on version 9.1.1. Please find the below release notes for your reference as well.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa91/release/notes/asarn91.html#pgfId-685480

Regards
Pradyumna

Hi Pradyumna,

Thank you so much for your guidance on this query. It has been very helpful.

I think that I will have to go with an AD Radius solution that will authenticate against Windows security policies. This will allow me to change the user password for my ASA and switches by changing my Windows password. Got to to it this way as I need a 90 day timeout with a prompt for password at the end of the 90 days. Windows gives me this.

Again Pradyumna, thanks you for your help on this.

Regards,

Leo

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card