Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco FTD Mgmt over Internet

ssan239
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We have an FMC which has internet access but we manage it over an MPLS connection. All the FTDs managed by this FMC are connected with the MPLS connection. The Mgmt plane is configured with the IPs learnt via the same MPLS.

Now we have a new requirement where we need to manage the FTD connecting over the Internet. Customer requesting us to configure an internet facing IP and manage it with the same above FMC. Is it achievable? If yes how we can setup the FTD management plane with the internet facing IP and connect it to the FMC which has access over MPLS?

Any suggestions on this is much helpful.

Regards,

Sanjay S

4 Replies 4

With version 6.7 you can use a data interface for your FMC<->FTD connection.There are some restrictions like HA is not supported:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/70/configuration/guide/fpmc-config-guide-v70/device_management_basics.html#Cisco_Concept.dita_a3adf1ee-a270-4ff4-8b7b-3f9a3f4f1636

Thank you Karsten for this info.

But based on this first we need to get the connectivity over the management interface and then migrate it to the Data interface. Is my understanding right? We should use the management interface first to get the connectivity to FMC and then migrate it to the data interface?

Regards,

Sanjay S

I would consider it the easiest to have the device in FMC and then change it. But that is highly subjective ... You also can directly setup the FTD for management over the data-interface when you initially set up the device over the console. It's also noted in the referenced document.

Doing directly from the start using "configure network management-data-interface" (as noted in the document referenced by @Karsten Iwen) works fine.

That's also how Cisco is teaching it in the internal advanced FTD Field Engineering course offered to staff and partners. I labbed it during that course and it worked fine.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card