cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco FTD SSL Policy causing issue on Media Communication such as Skype and Viber text messages

laurathaqi
Level 3
Level 3

Dear community, 

I have installed Cisco Firepower 2010 installed, and I manage it via FMC. I have setup the policies and traffic is all working ok without SSL decryption policy. However when I enable SSL decryption policy, my text messages do not go through the network. Communication with the Internet works fine, but Skype and Viber text messages do not go through. 

I have tested it myself and as soon as I remove SSL decryption Policy from the Access Policy, text messages pass through the traffic properly.     

Do you have any idea why and what could be affecting the text messages communication to not go through from an SSL decryption policy perspective? 

From my general knowledge, SSL decryption policy is used to only decrypt traffic but not manage communication access. Am I missing something? 

Any suggestion or information provided would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Those applications and others (WhatsApp, Telegram etc.) use end-to-end encryption with SSL/TLS certificate pinning. So any man-in-the-middle decrypt and re-sign action (such as the FTD does) will break that trust chain and cause the issues you report. You need to exempt those applications from your SSL policy for them to work.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Those applications and others (WhatsApp, Telegram etc.) use end-to-end encryption with SSL/TLS certificate pinning. So any man-in-the-middle decrypt and re-sign action (such as the FTD does) will break that trust chain and cause the issues you report. You need to exempt those applications from your SSL policy for them to work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: