cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco PIX 501, NetOpia Caymen 3500 series

BrianGPeterson
Level 1
Level 1

I got PIX 501 firewall. We now have Windows XP small workgroup connected with 3COM switch. All connected to the internet using NetOpia Caymen 3500 4 port ASDL Router with DHCP enabled. I need a help to configure PIX 501 to have VPN. I don't know anything how to configure, I am new to firewalls. On the PIX501 user guide was written it should work almost with every network configuration automatically. But it did not work with our network. PLEAS HELP

4 Replies 4

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

Who admins the ADSL router, you or your ISP? Ideally, you want the Caymen to have NAT disabled if possible.

We admin the router. So, you saying that if we disable NAT in Caymen then PIX501 should work?

i am sorry i have no idea how to configure it.

Thank you.

Your have 2 paths:

1. Buy an ethernet (not USB) ADSL modem. it takes the wire from the phone company, and should have an ethernet out port, that plugs into the pix's outside interface. The PIX will do NAT for your clients

2. If you have multiple real IP addresses, configure the ADSL box to route to the PIX, assigning one of them to the pix's outside interface. This requires at least 5 ip addresses, most likely, as you would be creating 2 public subnets.

3. http://www.netopia.com/equipment/pdf/manuals/3500_64manual.pdf

Makes it seem like the unit (if this is the right manual), can bridge. If you disabled all routing on the cayman, and enabled bridging, the cayman should then act like a regular adsl modem, a la scenario 1.

Option 1 is probably easiest. 3 is doable, provided that the unit can in fact just bridge

Thank you.

When i set bridge on, should i disable DHCP or it automatically disables it?

Also I can not get into Caymen. I don't know why. I can ping Caymen. I can non telnet, ot using web.

Do you have any idea. Is port number changed.

Thank you.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card