cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure notification on ASA when syslog servers is down?

CiscoPurpleBelt
Level 6
Level 6

Is there a way to send a notification to an email or something like that when "logging host management" and/or syslog or audit server goes down?

Also, what it the actual logging server number for just when the server is unreachable or however it detects when it is down?

5 Replies 5

Hi,
Any particular reason you want the alert to come from the ASA?

Normally you'd monitor the SYSLOG server using SNMP with the NMS e.g. Solarwinds or Prime, these systems would then alert you if SYSLOG is down.

HTH

Not really I guess.
So Solarwinds and prime can be configured to send emails or noitifications to a email distro or something correct?

Yes, you can send email alerts amongst other things.

FYI, Solarwinds can also act as a SYSLOG server

Do you know which logging event numbers to configure on the ASA to still make sure it logs when a server is down locally?

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unless you are using the non-default TCP syslog option, syslog is normally connectionless (udp/514) and the ASA has no way of knowing if the syslog messages are arriving at their destination.

If you use tcp I believe a syslog message will be created for the tcp connection itself (assuming you have informational level 6 logging level).

You should also see one of the following level 3 messages: 

• %ASA-3-414003: TCP Syslog Server intf: IP_Address/port not responding. New connections are [permitted|denied] based on logging permit-hostdown policy.
  • %ASA-3-414005: TCP Syslog Server intf: IP_Address/port connected, New connections are permitted based on logging permit-hostdown policy
  • %ASA-3-414006: TCP Syslog Server configured and logging queue is full. New connections denied based on logging permit-hostdown policy.

References:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/syslog/b_syslog/syslogs-sev-level.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa-command-reference/I-R/cmdref2/l2.html#pgfId-1795316

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card