cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Confusion with FTD Back Up mentioned in FMC Docs

Tammy L. Burley
Level 1
Level 1

I have access to CLS SSNGFW course lab and was researching the FMC/FTD back up functions.  But I read this from the docs and it confused me.

Requirements for Backup and Restore

Backup and restore has the following requirements.

Model Requirements: Backup

You can back up:

• FMCs

• 7000/8000 series devices

Backup is not supported for:

• Firepower Threat Defense

• NGIPSv

• ASA FirePOWER

If Backup is NOT support for FTD, and I lose a FTD, how do I restore it.  Do backups really need to be configured on each box or is there a work around to be able to use the functionality of FMC?

I just found it odd that FMC cannot manage backups for FTD.  Isn't that the beauty of FMC:

thanks! 

1 Reply 1

@Tammy L. Burley 

I think you are looking at an old information, on FMC 6.7 docs you can backup FTD:-

You can back up:

• FMCs

• FTD: standalone, native instance, container instance, or HA

• FTDv: VMware, standalone or HA

Backup is not supported for:

• FTD: Clustered devices

• FTDv: KVM, AWS, Azure

• NGIPSv

• ASA FirePOWER

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/670/configuration/guide/fpmc-config-guide-v67/backup_and_restore.html#Cisco_Concept.dita_4c9fc894-dd20-4d86-853d-341c91662bee

Regardless, if managed by the FMC then backing up the FMC is more important than an FTD configuration. The FTD only requires a management IP address, once communication between the 2 has been setup, the FMC will push the configuration, policies etc.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card