cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Create a Failover for Cradlepoint with no static ip on cisco asa

juliuslamar
Level 1
Level 1

a company has at&t as the primary. and they want the cradlepoint as the failover. but the cradlepoint has no static ip. the company realizes they will only beable to surf the web if the failover cradlepoint is active.

so once i have the cradlepoint plugged into the asa port what commands do i enter?

2 Replies 2

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I guess you would have to configure SLA on the ASA to monitor the Primary ISP connection by polling either the gateway address or some other host. When the ASA doesnt receive replys to the ICMP it sends to monitor the link it would then remove a the default route for the Primary ISP and the secondary ISP would become active by using a default route that is of lower value than the original default route that was removed.

There really is not enough background information provided to say what you would need.

You should basically need atleast the following

• Dynamic PAT towards both ISP links (Primary already has one naturally)
  • Lower value default route towards Secondary ISP (so that it doesnt come active when the Primary is operational)
  • A tracked default route for the Primary ISP which is tracked by the SLA process on the ASA using ICMP Echo to a certain destination IP address

- Jouni

Hey what other information would you need? i can supply all. yes i was told to put the cradlepoint device is ip passthrough.

then to create the failover on the cisco asa.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card