Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSM v4.01 running on two seperate servers in a non high-availability setup

Is it possible to run CSM 4.01 on two different servers (with two seperate licences).
I have issues where I manage a Cisco ASA 5540 and the rules on one CSM are less than the other CSM.

The disabled rules are missing from the rulebase with less rules.

The plan is to move to a high availability configuration in several months once the following is purchased:

Veritas Volume Replicator v5.1
Windows 2008 64-bit
CSM 4.1 (maintenance download)

then do a complete re-install.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Regards

Ken Robinson

3 Replies 3

Stefano De Crescenzo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kenneth

it is possible to run two CSM servers in NON HA mode, but it is definitely not recommended. The main reason is that in order to maintain the two DB syncronized you would need to replicate the change on both server (so do the job two times).

If you do not do so, you will lose some of teh policy and have problem with CSM complaining about Out of Band change. Eventually to recover you might end up in the situation were you would need to rediscover losing you shared policy...

so I do not see any benefit and many threat . So long term plan definitely HA makes sense.

Regarding the actual issue, can you please share a bit more details on what is missing and why?

Stefano

Hi Stefano,

It has been decided to install the CSM in a high-availability setup with the Veritas Volume Replication option asap. This is the cleanest solution. It will be much easier to manage and no worries about database conflicts.

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken,

thanks for the answer

Stefano

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card