Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between FTD and CHassis Firewall

kamtarias
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am working on decommissioning FTD . I am keep getting confused between FTD and Chassis. Also if someone have already done similar work, please guide me.

Cisco model 2130

3 Replies 3

kjkjkjkj.png

here is simple photo explain the chassis FXOS and FTD/ASA image install 
the chassis is hardware like FRP1k/2k/4100/9300 or 3K
the Supervisor is FXOS (from which you can control the Chassis )
FTD (asa not appear in photo) image that you can add to this FPR 

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

FTD is Firepower Threat Defense (old name) or Cisco Secure Firewall Threat Defense (new name - branding change only, no technical difference).

A Firepower / Cisco Secure Firewall hardware appliance can run either the FTD image or ASA image. So the hardware (chassis) is somewhat separate from the running software. Think of it like a computer can run Windows or Linux.

Depending on the hardware model and included software, the system can appear to have two operating systems. FXOS (Firepower Extensible Operating System) manages the hardware and FTD (or ASA) manages the behavior of traffic through the system.

In the larger models (4100  and 4200 series, 9300 series), FXOS is "more" separate from FTD and we configure it separately either via cli or the Firepower Chassis Manager GUI. In the smaller models running FTD (1000 series, 2100 series, 3100 series), FXOS is bundled with FTD and we rarely interact with it directly.

HI Marvin,

Thanks for your inputs. I am working on decommissioning the one of FTD 2100 . If you have done the similar work, Would you guide me steps to perform the same starts from shut the port. I know it sounds very basic but still if you can. Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card