Views
Helpful
Replies

disk0: compactflash error and resolve question

jacobi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have an ASA5505, where the disk0: (CF) died. Writing brings "I/O error", an attempt to format fails (card is read-only it says). I know that I can change the CF card by unplugging and replugging a new CF card into the CF slot inside the ASA5505. Now I wonder, is there any command or any trick to make the device read the new card?

So far, all attempts to change the card in the running ASA fail: the new card is not recognized. All commands (dir, fsck, format) behave as if the old card is still plugged in (reading errors). When I use the new flash card with another ASA, the card is immediately recognized and used.

Now, is there a way to make the ASA read the new card without rebooting?

Any suggestion would be very much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Olaf Jacobi

2 Replies 2

Panos Kampanakis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No tricks to read the card.

There might be a hardware issue related to this.

You can open a case and they should be able to tell you what should be done or if you need an RMA.

I hope it helps.

PK

Hi again,

thanks for the reply. What I had to do:

- remove the (defect) 128MB Cisco CF card

- copy the necessary files (image, configuration, ASDM) to a new card

- plug in the new CF card (I used a 1GB CF card)

- reboot the ASA

Then the ASA complained that the activation codes can't be read from the new flash card, thus it started as K8 only, no 3DES available. I then requested the needed activation key from Cisco:

"Cisco ASA 3DES/AES License"

https://tools.cisco.com/SWIFT/Licensing/PrivateRegistrationServlet?FormId=139

Activated the features, rebooted again - and voilá, the Cisco ASA5505 works as always (only with a new CF card).

Regards,

Olaf.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card