cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dpc3941b MAC Filter Settings

chris-dewitt
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to set up MAC filtering for a dpc3941b.

In the dpc3941b MAC filter settings what is the difference between "Allow All" and "Allow"?

Also, are there two different MAC lists, one for Allow and one for Deny?

8 Replies 8

dpc3941b is a Comcast business router.  Not sure how posting on Cisco forum is going to help you?

I did a Comcast posting and was told "I would recommend to reach out to Cisco for those kinds of inquiries. "

WHAT? why?

WHAT? why?WHAT????

The dpc3941b was designed by CISCO for Comcast.  It has a manual with CISCO's logo and address on the last page.  I ask Comcast for more info about a feature, they say it's CISCO's.  I ask CISCO and I'm told it's Comcast's.  Who owns this turkey anyway?

I'm just asking for better definition about a setting in the manual (See attached page 33 (pdf page 55)). 

Comcast owns this equipment. Comcast is who you need to ask not Cisco

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you choose "Allow All" then no MAC filtering takes place.

Choosing "Allow" means the device will refer to the Allow MAC list. That's what we sometimes call a "whitelist".

Choosing "Deny" means the device will refer to the Deny MAC list. That's what we sometimes call a "blacklist".

That's what I would have expected but the description for Allow All says "allow access to all the clients included in WiFi Control List" where the "WiFi Control List" is also where you put the "Allow" MAC addresses so it is not exactly obvious.  You are also implying there are 2 lists, a white list and a black list.

Yeah - I see what you're saying. The document is not as clear as it could be. Even though Cisco manufactured these devices, they don't really support them for the residential end users.

I'd just give it a try and see what the result is to verify. It could be done in less time than it takes to write one of these replies.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card