cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Eigrp routes

nishakhanal
Level 1
Level 1

Does we need eigrp protocol no both sides. For example If i am using Eigrp protocol on one router and static routes on other router. Does it work or not!!!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

No this will not work.  If you are using a dynamic routing protocol like EIGRP you need to configure this on both sides.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Routing protocol like EIGRP, OSPF, RIP will exchange routes only if both routers are directly-connected neighbors and share link together (are on common subnet) and have same protocol enabled.  If you and I are neighbors and talking EIGRP, we can exchange what we know and have (routes from others or redistributed or direct connected networks (interfaces with IPs and UP/UP). Note: you can have 2 neighbors via L2 switch which is still considered "directly connected". 

So, no, having Eigrp on one router and static routes on other router will not work.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

No this will not work.  If you are using a dynamic routing protocol like EIGRP you need to configure this on both sides.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Routing protocol like EIGRP, OSPF, RIP will exchange routes only if both routers are directly-connected neighbors and share link together (are on common subnet) and have same protocol enabled.  If you and I are neighbors and talking EIGRP, we can exchange what we know and have (routes from others or redistributed or direct connected networks (interfaces with IPs and UP/UP). Note: you can have 2 neighbors via L2 switch which is still considered "directly connected". 

So, no, having Eigrp on one router and static routes on other router will not work.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card