cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fire Power IPS License issue

Ibrahim Bhuiyan
Level 1
Level 1

I have a ASA 5515-X Firewall. I have also installed 'sfr module' onto the firewall. I purchased a FirePower IPS License (L-ASA551-TA-1Y). But after download the License file I saw that, this was (Control+Protection) License. I just little worried, is it Firepower IPS License or not? Because I couldnt find out the info about FirePower IPS License is enable or not? How I would I understand that, this is FirePower IPS License? Any command? Please suggest me.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Control+Protection is the free license required to use any of the other add-on licenses (IPS, URL Filtering and Malware).

The IPS license is right-to-use (RTU) subscription entitlement which will not show up in the GUI or cli. It can only be seen by checking your contract status with your reseller or Cisco. The entitlement means you can access the Cisco security intelligence feeds, Snort Rule Updates and Vulnerability Database updates to keep your IPS protection current.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Control+Protection is the free license required to use any of the other add-on licenses (IPS, URL Filtering and Malware).

The IPS license is right-to-use (RTU) subscription entitlement which will not show up in the GUI or cli. It can only be seen by checking your contract status with your reseller or Cisco. The entitlement means you can access the Cisco security intelligence feeds, Snort Rule Updates and Vulnerability Database updates to keep your IPS protection current.

So If I purchase IPS License or any add-on License it will come as a Control+Protection License? Or both will come as seperate License file? 

Control + Protection is a license and is a required prerequisite for any other licenses or the IPS subscription service.

IPS subscription is never a license file but is a right-to-use subscription service that your FMC and FTD devices use to keep the IPS services current. There is no indicator in FMC or FTD that your IPS license is validated with Cisco. (at least not as of the current version 6.6 - that may change in future releases)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card