Views
Helpful
Replies

Firepower 1010 - ways to get temperature data

janslu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I am moving from 5506x working in asa mode to firepower 1010 in ngfw mode. It is being used in a remote location mostly to protect web servers in a datacenter and I want to monitor the temperature of the unit (Munin is charting the data). For 5506x (and earlier models) it's easy using snmp. Not so much for 1010 though. I have enabled snmp and set it up (using API queries), but sensor data... is just not there. I can get cpu usage data, interface data etc, but I can't get the sensors data. snmpwalk doesn't show it as available. 

I found a way to use rest api and get the data I need but it seems to me that I will have to write a short oAuth app to take care of refreshing tokens. I wish there was a way to create permanent tokens for some specific queries - this would be the easiest solution. 

My question are:

- do I miss something in snmp configuration and maybe I should toggle something to be able to query for chassis temperatury using snmp v2c?

- is there a way to allow a "forerever token" and to limit it to some functions (like only get queries)?

- is there another, easy way to remotely query the chassis temperature of Firepower 1010?

2 Replies 2

To get the temperature values you need to poll the FXOS.  From CLI you can view the temperature with the following:

connect fxos

scope chassis

show stats

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

Thanks for this, but I am looking for a way to query for temperature remotely from a script. Munin is a systems monitoring platform and it uses scripting to query for data to chart. snmp seems like a natural way to query, so is the rest api (but adding oAuth token refresh will be an added step, and for security reasons I'd prefer to have only limited access rights for this token). I'd also rather not give the script ssh access to the Firepower unit. My goal is to have a way to access the data from a script and don't compromise the security of the unit in the process. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card