cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firepower 1120 Automatic Switching to a backup internet conection.

witek99
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I need configure automatic switching from primary internet connection to a backup connection. The connections are from two different providers and, of course, different addresses. I can't find eny informatin that can help me witch that. I hope you can help me to find the way to do it.

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Take a look at : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/secure-firewall/management-center/device-config/710/management-center-device-config-71/routing-policy-based.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

if you run SLA monitor then this change of route happened automatic 
MHM

kellydoyle240
Level 1
Level 1

Configuring automatic switching from a primary internet connection to a backup connection involves setting up a failover mechanism. Typically, this is achieved using network hardware such as routers or firewalls that support dual WAN (Wide Area Network) connections. Here’s a general approach to consider:

1. Dual WAN Router: Ensure your router supports dual WAN connections. This allows you to connect both primary and backup internet connections to the router.

2. Failover Configuration: Configure the router to prioritize the primary connection. Set up automatic failover to switch to the backup connection if the primary connection fails. This involves configuring settings such as monitoring the primary connection status and triggering a switch when necessary.

3. Network Monitoring: Implement network monitoring tools or features on your router to continuously check the status of both connections. If the primary connection goes down or experiences issues (like high latency or packet loss), the router should automatically switch to the backup connection.

4. Static or Dynamic IP Address Configuration: Ensure each internet connection has a static or dynamic IP address configured appropriately by the respective providers. This ensures seamless switching without IP address conflicts.

5. Testing and Maintenance: Regularly test the failover configuration to ensure it functions as expected. Update configurations as needed based on network changes or upgrades.

If you provide specific details about your network hardware and setup, I can offer more tailored advice. Good luck with your setup!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card