cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firepower Etherchannel issue - FTD

fgariba
Level 1
Level 1
Hello everyone, i'm Fabio and i'm a new user in Cisco Community.Nice to meet you. I hope that this is the correct section of the community. I have an issue in the etherchannel configuration of an ftd: Firepower 2110 Version: 6.5.0.4 Locally managed FDM. I want to  configure a LACP link with two members: a copper port (for the local side of a VSS),  and a SFP Fiber MM 1G for connect to the remote switch. Port 1-12 native RJ-45 Port 13-16 SFP When i try to add the members (one RJ-45 native port and another SFP Fiber) it appears this message: "EtherChannel member interfaces cannot have different speed capabilities" and i can't go ahead. But of course both the RJ45 native port and the SFP 1G have negotiated at 1G full duplex. I did other tests: - two native RJ45 ports, works! - two SFP Fiber MM 1G works! - One SFP MM 1G and one SFP RJ-45 Works!!!!! Seems that members in the PortC can be only both RJ45 native or only both SFP (Fiber,copper or mixed) I don't understand if it's GUI problem, if i'm wrong something, or if it's a limitation of ftd. Please Help.
4 Replies 4

Hello Fabio,

unfortunately it is impossible. All interfaces in the channel group must be the same type and speed. The first interface added to the channel group determines the correct type and speed.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/650/fdm/fptd-fdm-config-guide-650/fptd-fdm-interfaces.html#id_111440

Regards,

Hi Evgenii,

thanks a lot for your response. I read that link...

Need to understand what it means the "same type"... because  if i aggregate two different sfp type (one mm fiber and one copper) it works... and if i aggregate two RJ45 port - one native RJ45 and another SFP - not working.

So the "same type" means SFP or not... not clear for me.

Thanks a lot

It is a bit confusing. Firepower (or more properly the FXOS) sees SFP modules as a different "type" than built-in Ethernet ports.

A copper 1 Gbps SFP module is seen as a different type than a copper 1 Gbps built-in, while a copper SFP is considered the same type as a fiber 1 Gbps SFP module.

HI Marvin, Thanks so much for your reply. I'm a bit sad to hear it because i need to change the design. With a vss scenario, the "mixed" port channel would been greatest approach. Do you think that it can be solved/changed with another fxos future release? or it's due to a hardware limitation? Thank you again,
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card