Views
Helpful
Replies

FirePower HA Problem when FTD change status Failed to Standby

VuongLe
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I have 2 FTD join FMC and config HA with FTD1 roles Primary and Active, FTD 2 roles Secondary and Standby.

I connected 2 FTD with 2 Switch via 2 Port-channel. (attach image).

2 Switches run stack.

network.JPG

I had problem when Port channel 11 down so FTD 2 changed status from Standby to Failed and everything is OK.

but when I up Port channel 11, FTD 2 changes status from Failed to Standby and sent ARP to my switch. After that, switch update ARP of Active IP of 2 FTD to Port channel 11 ( traffic sent to FTD 2 standby ) so system is DOWN.

I must clear arp-cache of switch to change ARP and switch sent traffic via Port channel 10, after that it's OK.

Is problem in Switch or FTD ?

What does FTD 2 do when it change status from Failed to Standby ?

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When an FTD appliance (or ASA for that matter) goes from Secondary-Failed to Secondary-Standby status, it should not affect the adjacent devices. Only when it goes from Secondary-Standby to Secondary-Active should it send out a gratuitous ARP taking over the primary IP for its interfaces.

It would be interesting to see the failover configuration and a capture of the relevant ARP traffic taken during an event such as you describe. It may be easier though to open a TAC case and have them take a look at it in real time.

Thanks Marvin, I opened TAC case and we are troubleshooting

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card