cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

firesight URL filtering

Tejas Kunte
Level 1
Level 1

i have my rules setup in a standard way where certain categories are allowed like news and media e.g. cnn and others like web advertisement and CDN are blocked.

the problem i have is because websites like cnn.com make calls to URLs in the blocked categories, the page is slow to load or does not load at all

is there any way around this other than allowing the blocked categories ?

3 Replies 3

yogdhanu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

You can try to check the URL which CNN is trying to go to and then add them in allowed list instead of allowing the whole category. It really depends on few link which would be necessary for that site like CNN.

you can check the blocked URL from connection events and then allow few in there.

Ed Padilla Jr
Level 1
Level 1

What Cisco recommends is good, but do your homework in terms of policy, and malicious sites, or redirection.  Work with your company's security policy.

Jetsy Mathew
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Tejas,

Fist of all make sure that the device is in a stable version , since by any chance if you have 5.4.1 and 5.4.1.1 running , there were few issues reported with the blocking part . Thus first of all keep your device in a stable 6.0.1.1 or 5.4.1.7 version . Make sure that positioning of the rules are correct.  Block the sites based on the cateoagry that you found in the following link :-

https://brightcloud.com/tools/url-ip-lookup.php

Just to confirm or isolate the issue, try blocking the site by adding the url manually.

Rate if the post helps you.

Regards

Jetsy 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card