cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firewall and Wireless Router

nickam989
Level 1
Level 1

I have a PIX 501 Firewall which is connected to an internet port on the wall. The firewall is connected via ethernet to a Netgear WNR1000 wireless router. I want to connect to the internet wirelessly with my computers.

Say the Firewall is assigned an IP address of 55.55.55.1 by the DHCP server of this office. I currently have the firewall set to handle DHCP for this seperate internal network giving a range of 55.55.55.200-230. From that, the connected router is assigned an IP of 55.55.55.200. The router also has DHCP, but I want the computers connected to it to be assigned IP addresses by the firewall in that same range, not by the router. If I disable DHCP on the router, the computers don't connect. How would I go about doing this correctly?

I'm just starting out in networking, so I'd appreciate any help with this.

1 Reply 1

jaysoo
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not sure why you are using DHCP for the firewall and router IP addresses. I would just assign them statically and use the wireless router as a DHCP server for the clients.

Example: Clients DHCP range 1.1.1.2-1.1.1.30

LAN<1.1.1.1>E0E1<2.2.2.1>-----<2.2.2.2>E0Internet

Default route for the router would be 2.2.2.2.

The IP addresses are just examples. Sorry for the shabby diagram, hope it makes sense.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card