cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FMC 2500

atiye.bigdeli
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I have a problem with adding firepower to FMC 2500. when I tried to add a firepower, I recieved a error that mentioned

"To add firepower thread defense devices, register this consol with the smart licensing server."20180819_192139.png

cant I using traditional licensing?

the server doesnt have access to the internet.

best regards

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

FTD devices can only use Smart Licenses.

For non-Internet-connected deployments you have to use a Smart License satellite server. 

View solution in original post

You can do that.

The license(s) you bought won't be usable; but then you wouldn't need them for a "plain" ASA.

You might be able to get your reseller to have them converted to classic Firepower licenses and run the firepower service module on the ASA.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

FTD devices can only use Smart Licenses.

For non-Internet-connected deployments you have to use a Smart License satellite server. 

Hi thank you for your reply.

If can I provide the internet access to the FMC, Do I need the internet connection, only once, for registration? or always should the internet be Connected?

best regards

An FMC, when acting as the local repository for Smart Licenses, should be synchronized with the Cisco Smart Software Manager every 30 days for licensing purposes.

There are a number of other reasons to have your FMC internet connected - product updates, Cisco Security Intelligence Feeds, etc.

I suppose if you aren't using ANY of the FTD NGIPS features then that's immaterial; but then why would you choose to use FTD and then choose not to use any of the features that make it an effective solution?

thank you so much for you reply.

I have the another question,

Is there any version of firesight that support ftd with traditional licensing? 

best regards

You're welcome.

No - all versions of all FTD devices whether FMC-managed or locally-managed require Smart Licensing.

You can run out of the box with a 90 day trial license and not register; but once that expires you need to register a Smart License.

thanks dear;

We bought the ASA5508-FTD-K9 firewalls and unfortunately we cant use the smart licensing.

can we downgrade this firewall, using re imaging the os  and install the ASA ios?

best regards 

You can do that.

The license(s) you bought won't be usable; but then you wouldn't need them for a "plain" ASA.

You might be able to get your reseller to have them converted to classic Firepower licenses and run the firepower service module on the ASA.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card