Views
Helpful
Replies

FMC/FTD automatic scheduled backup

Knassi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can anyone please help me understand how the FMC and FTD backup work. I do backup of the FMC and the FTDs from the FMC. When it shows on the FMC, i download them and save them. After that i delete them from the FMC. Now were they stored on the FMC? If i do not delete and keep doing it, will the FMC run out of space and possibly not work well? I set up and automatic backup to a share. I found out that instead of the backup going to share, it is being synchronized instead. If i delete the back up from the FMC, it gets deleted from the share as well. So i left them on the FMC now the FMC is no longer backing up.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thaks 

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your FMC-based backup job is set to use the default local backup target, the files will be installed in /var/sf/backup. It can indeed store a lot of files and, if there are too many it can use excessive disk space. Too many = 100+ for most deployments as there is generally adequate disk space for dozens of backups.

If the target is a remote file system (NFS, etc.) then a copy should not be stored on the FMC itself.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card