cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FMC Licensing for Air Gapped Firewall

David Ettinger
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco Firepower 2100 firewall and I need to operate this in the transparent mode of operation.   To do this I believe I need to switch from FDM to FMC.   My questions have to do with licensing.   First, is part number SF-FMC-KVM-2-K9 correct for an FMC VM running on a Redhat 8.x host computer?   This part number is for two "devices".   I'm assuming that means it can manage two firewalls (I only have one).   Second, can this FMC VM be licensed when the host and FMC VM are air gapped?  I do have a Smart Account but my FTD has been converted to a traditional license and the activation code applied manually.   

Thanks in advance for your answers.

2 Replies 2

@David Ettinger you are correct you need to use the FMC in order to run FTD in transparent mode.

What hypervisor are you running this VM on? Vmware or KVM? The part number you provided is for KVM, the option for Vmware is SF-FMC-VMW-2-K9.

You can run Smart Software Manager On Prem for air-gapped scenarios. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/secure-firewall/management-center/admin/720/management-center-admin-72/system-licenses.html#id_79920

Thanks Robert for the quick response.   It is appreciated!   I have a Redhat hypervisor.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card