how can i shut Properly FMC from both CLI and GUI to avoid DB corruption

pls see attachment

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There was nothing attached but that's OK.

From the GUI, use the menu choice under Sytem > Configuration > Process to either shutdown, reboot or restart your FMC.

From the cli, use the console script with the same arguments.

Both are described here (with slightly different GUI menu location for the older Firesight Management Center 5.x):

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/firesight-management-center/118594-technote-firesight-00.html

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There was nothing attached but that's OK.

From the GUI, use the menu choice under Sytem > Configuration > Process to either shutdown, reboot or restart your FMC.

From the cli, use the console script with the same arguments.

Both are described here (with slightly different GUI menu location for the older Firesight Management Center 5.x):

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/firesight-management-center/118594-technote-firesight-00.html

Thanks

@Marvin Rhoads If i shutdown FMC from System --> Configuration --> Process --> Shutdown Management Center  and then i reboot the VM from vcenter, how the FMC will power on again?

Is there any command that i can run in FMC cli and turn it on or it will turn on by itself ?

Thank you

When you restart the FMC server from the hypervisor the necessary processes will all startup automatically.

FMC puts the necessary startup scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d so the underlying RHEL knows to start it automatically.

Hello Marvin,

Thank you one more time for your help and your valuable contribution on this community!!

IT.DC
Level 1
Level 1

HI What will happen  if i directly shut down FMC VM From Console? did it crash the DB

Hello,

I have done twice and nothing happened but the appropriate way to do it, as every application, you should shut down FMC via console.

It may or may not come back normally.

If you watch the messages from console when it restarts, you will see that it realizes it was not shutdown gracefully and it will try to recover from any errors. Usually it is successful but not always. when it fails it can leave you with a non-working server that you will have to restore from backup or - if there's no backup available - rebuild from scratch.

So:

1. Always shutdown gracefully if you can

2. Always have a recent backup available off-box. (or, even better, periodically shutdown gracefully and then snapshot the VM)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card