cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FMC Smart Licensing Issue

JonMoss92624
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, i have deployed an FMCv onto ESXi today and i'm having an issue with registering the smart licensing

When i enter the product registration token into the FMC and press register it does not complete and just sits there.  I know there is a route out to the internet ok (no proxies), and i've configured dns correctly etc.  I tried a rebuild in case it was something weird going on but i get the same issue.  I've also tried generating a new token and revoking the old one on smart update.  

some info on the build if that helps?  any idea's what i could do to t-shoot, the options in the GUI and CLI seem quite limited, thanks

Cisco Firepower Management Center for VMWare
None
6.6.0 (build 90)
Cisco Fire Linux OS 6.6.0 (build37)
2.9.16 (Build 140)
2020-06-22-001-vrt
None
build 336 ( 2020-06-15 16:38:24 )

8 Replies 8

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From the FMC cli (expert mode) check the following:

sudo nslookup software.cisco.com
telnet software.cisco.com 443

You should get output similar to the following:

Cisco Fire Linux OS v6.6.0 (build 37)
Cisco Firepower Management Center for VMWare v6.6.0 (build 90)

> expert
admin@fmc:~$ sudo nslookup software.cisco.com
Password: 
Server:		172.31.1.8
Address:	172.31.1.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
software.cisco.com	canonical name = software.cisco.com.akadns.net.
software.cisco.com.akadns.net	canonical name = softwareds.cisco.com.edgekey.net.
softwareds.cisco.com.edgekey.net	canonical name = softwareds.cisco.com.edgekey.net.globalredir.akadns.net.
softwareds.cisco.com.edgekey.net.globalredir.akadns.net	canonical name = e2757.dscb.akamaiedge.net.
Name:	e2757.dscb.akamaiedge.net
Address: 23.14.207.202

admin@fmc:~$ telnet software.cisco.com 443
Trying 23.14.207.202...
Connected to software.cisco.com.
Escape character is '^]'.

Hi Marvin, many thanks for taking the time to reply :)

I tried the below just now, all seems ok (output below) - still not registering though :(

> expert
admin@ssslpfpmnl01:~$ sudo nslookup software.cisco.com

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

Password:
Server: 192.168.1.10
Address: 192.168.1.10#53

Non-authoritative answer:
software.cisco.com canonical name = software.cisco.com.akadns.net.
software.cisco.com.akadns.net canonical name = softwareds.cisco.com.edgekey.net.
softwareds.cisco.com.edgekey.net canonical name = softwareds.cisco.com.edgekey.net.globalredir.akadns.net.
softwareds.cisco.com.edgekey.net.globalredir.akadns.net canonical name = e2757.dscb.akamaiedge.net.
Name: e2757.dscb.akamaiedge.net
Address: 23.198.68.181

admin@ssslpfpmnl01:~$ telnet software.cisco.com 443
Trying 23.198.68.181...
Connected to software.cisco.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
^C^ZConnection closed by foreign host.
admin@ssslpfpmnl01:~$

Your connectivity all seems to be in order. I've registered numerous FMCs using this method and never encountered an issue. Perhaps opening a TAC case would be a good idea at this point.

Thanks Marvin, i think it could be a bug - i've logged a case

Out of interest have you successfully registered 6.6.0 (build 90)?

i'll post back here if/when i get a resolution

thanks 

Yes I've deployed two new FMC 6.6.0 Build 90 VMs for customers in the past couple of weeks. Both registered fine for Smart Licensing and Cisco Cloud Service integration.

ok thanks, can't be a bug then, it's very odd indeed

if i hadn't already tried it i'd just do a fresh install at this point

have to see if TAC come up with anything

So i'm back with the promised update.. after doing yet another fresh install and leaving the dns servers to the default entries i managed to get it registered to cisco smart licensing ok

I completed the update of the FTD running on an ASA5525-X to version 6 and added it to the manager ok.

However when i look at the licensing on the cisco smart centre web portal something is not right still as none of the licenses are being recognised or allocated it seems.  

Other products, Cisco ISE for example this was all automatic once the ISE was able to reach and register with cisco smart licensing so i assumed this would be the same.  What am i missing?

screen shot attached of the portal and FMC if that helps?

Your FMC shows as registered and authorized.

For the ASAs running FTD image to be allocated a smart license from the Cisco portal via FMC, you need to go into device management and assign licenses to them. Only then will FMC check with Cisco for available licenses and assign them. At that point they will show up in the FMC Smart License screen.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card