Views
Helpful
Replies

FTD sizing

whistleblower14
Level 1
Level 1

hi all,

I‘m looking for a firewall which should be used to act as layer3 gateway for ~15-20 vlans and segment traffic on layer3/4 between them! I‘m not 100% sure if it would make sense to use also IPS functionality for traffic which is most of the time internal one?! any suggestions about the best FTD series which I should use and maybe also an opinion for IPS enabled for inter-clan traffic would be very helpful!

thanks in advance!

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

is this connected to Internet ? or is this Internal FW, some other FW handle the external Internet side?

As per description, now sure what throughput looking, Firepower 1140 is good I guess here 

Some test report:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-security/ftd-sizing-help/td-p/3885515

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

there‘s currently no final decision if that firewall will also act as the perimeter to the internet... I‘m trying also to figure out, if a so called first-line and second-line of defense with probably 2 different vendors is a design approach which is these days still contemporary!

Because the connection to the LAN should be minimal 10G (if possible a LAG 2x10G should be used) - I don‘t think that the 1140 can handle the throughput?!

Are you looking Full wire-speed of 10GB ? then you need to Firepower 4XXX models.  (not sure what is the user base here?

we only have " ~15-20 vlans"   so based on that information i have suggested, again this required more inputs,

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card