cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM remove ip address from vlan interface

rkmediacarlk
Level 1
Level 1

What is the correct way to remove an IP address from one of the interfaces bound to a FWSM? I seem to recall reading a warning that executing the no ip address command would remove ALL IP addresses configured on the FWSM, however, I have not been able to find that anywhere I look now. Perhaps this was an issue with 2.x versions and has been fixed since 3.x?

3 Replies 3

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Cant say I have ever had a problem in removing an IP address from a Vlan interface on a FWSM. I dont know why it would cause any problems.

Only warnings I can remember the Cisco firewalls giving me is if I have an DHCP server configured on the firewall and I try to remove the IP address of the interface. (Or atleast this is how I remember it)

What is your exact software level of the FWSM at the moment?

I would first read the Command Reference for that specific software level to see how that command behaves in your software level. It usually lists the usage guidelinse too.

- Jouni

Thanks for the reply. We have a couple of clusters, some running 2.2(3) and others running 4.1(8).

Found the following in the 4.0 Command Reference

To remove the IP address, use the no form of this command.

And this in the 2.3 Command Reference

To remove the standby interface IP address, set the sby_ip_addr to zero. To remove the IP address, set the IP address to zero and the mask to 255.255.255.255.

It was the clear ip command that clears all interface IP addresses

I totally forgot about the command reference guides, thanks for the reminder

Hi,

It does seem that the operation of FWSM at 2.2 is different from the newer versions. I have only used 3.2 - 4.0

Heres a link to the 2.2 Command Reference. It should also take you to the "ip address" command

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/fwsm/fwsm22/command/reference/gl.html#wp1026920

Check the "Usage Guidelines" section.

- Jouni

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card