cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to downgrade sourcefire rules

Nathan Burchett
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering what the process was to downgrade the VDB to an earlier version.  We are working on applying a backup but are unable to because the VDB build is currently 231 and needs to be 222.  Con someone help with this?

6 Replies 6

Joel Esler
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is a way to do this I believe. It can be done from the command line.  I don't know if it's documented in any manuals, you may want to contact support for steps to do this.  

removed, replied directly to the initial query

mnobile
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Nathan,

Sourcefire Support does not recommend to rollback the VDB versions. It is possible under certain circumstances. However, I don't believe that will help you in this scenario, as you can only rollback one version at a time. Example: you can roll back from VDB 231 to VDB 229, but not VDB 231 to VDB 222. Sourcefire Support would advise to re-image the appliance and install VDB 222 specifically. VDB 222 won't be found on the support site(It has been archived), I have uploaded at the following link:

http://uploads.sourcefire.com/download/72fb962560022f01921da18a2dd48a83/20150223192010-Sourcefire_VDB_Fingerprint_Database-4.5.0-222.sh

If you have any questions, please let me know. Thanks!  

Regards,
Michael Nobile
Sourcefire, now part of Cisco

I haven't been able to get this to load onto the machine.  it gives me the Error, "Exit [10] import failed"  What is that?

Hi Nathan,

Can you provide a more verbose error? On the Defense Center please navigate to Analysis > Search.
The Search page appears. From the Table drop‑down list, select Rule Update Import Log. The page reloads with the appropriate constraints.

Regards,
Michael Nobile
Sourcefire, now part of Cisco

st92
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nathan,

I am facing the same issue, the backup file which i need to restore is having 304 version and FMC is having 305 version so is there any way that i can degrade the 305 version to 304 to make it compatible with backup files. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card