Views
Helpful
Replies

How to see ACL traffic is allowed on.

ttpm12345
Level 1
Level 1

ASA on 8.4 code.

I see traffic of interest allowed across the FW but not on the ACL I expected (that ACL has 0 hits).  How can I see the exact rule my specific traffic is allowed on? 

e

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Most often that's due to ACL order causing a more general rule to catch the flow before the more specific one ever sees it. The ASA works on a first match basis.

You can see which your traffic is hitting by using the packet-tracer command. i.e.,

packet-tracer input inside tcp <source IP> <source port> <destination IP> <destination port>

The output will walk the packet processing through the ASA (including any ACL encountered) and display the step-by-step processing decisions.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Most often that's due to ACL order causing a more general rule to catch the flow before the more specific one ever sees it. The ASA works on a first match basis.

You can see which your traffic is hitting by using the packet-tracer command. i.e.,

packet-tracer input inside tcp <source IP> <source port> <destination IP> <destination port>

The output will walk the packet processing through the ASA (including any ACL encountered) and display the step-by-step processing decisions.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card