Helpful
Replies

How To Setup Cisco 1721 For Firewall / VPN

Ron Timbang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Need your assistance.

I have a 1721 router in my home & I want to setup it for firewall/ vpn. Is it recommended to purchase a WIC-1ADSL? What module is recommended for VPN?  Is it possible to setup VPN using DSL / Dynamic Ip connection ?

I want to explore on Cisco security & I get this advice from a supplier.

Thanks.

Ron

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Bro

You can configure your Cisco Router 1721 to be a stateful "Firewall" by enabling features such Zone Based Firewall, IOS IPS etc. For further details on this, you could refer to this Cisco document http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5708/ps5710/ps1018/product_implementation_design_guide09186a00800fd670.html

Just ensure your Cisco Router 1721 IOS Feature Set is Advance Security and above. With this, you too could configure your Cisco Router 1721 with Cisco Remote Access VPN or even Cisco AnyConnect SSLVPN. For Cisco AnyConnect SSLVPN, you'll need the Cisco AnyConnect image loaded into your Cisco Router 1721 flash, as well.

With regards to purchasing a WIC-1ADSL card, this is only necessary if your local ISP provides/terminates a RJ11 connection to your home. In my country, our local ISP provides/terminates broadband lines to homes via RJ45 cables. Hence, I don't need a WIC-1ADSL card.

By the way, since your home Internet package doesn’t come with a fixed/static Public IP Address, with dynamic Public IP Address is completely fine too. You might want to enable the DDNS feature in your Cisco Router 1721.

Lastly, if you were to ask me, I won’t purchase the VPN module for your Cisco Router 1721 (Part Num. MOD1700-VPN). I mean of course it’s good to have it, but do you really need it. After all, your Cisco Router 1721 will be deployed as a home router, with very little users. If the person selling you the VPN module is giving at a cheap price, take it then, otherwise if it breaks your budget, you can skip it all together. I’m guessing the price of a VPN module in a Cisco Router 1721 ~ MOD1700-VPN these days would be around USD 50.

Note: The items stated above i.e. Cisco Router 1721 and VPN Module all no longer supported by Cisco. These products have reached its'  EOS/EOL

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps221/prod_end-of-life_notice0900aecd8044473f.html. Hence, you could use this point alone, to bargain for a cheaper price from your reseller :-)

P/S: If you think this comment is useful, please do rate it nicely :-)

Warm regards,
Ramraj Sivagnanam Sivajanam

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Hi Bro

You can configure your Cisco Router 1721 to be a stateful "Firewall" by enabling features such Zone Based Firewall, IOS IPS etc. For further details on this, you could refer to this Cisco document http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5708/ps5710/ps1018/product_implementation_design_guide09186a00800fd670.html

Just ensure your Cisco Router 1721 IOS Feature Set is Advance Security and above. With this, you too could configure your Cisco Router 1721 with Cisco Remote Access VPN or even Cisco AnyConnect SSLVPN. For Cisco AnyConnect SSLVPN, you'll need the Cisco AnyConnect image loaded into your Cisco Router 1721 flash, as well.

With regards to purchasing a WIC-1ADSL card, this is only necessary if your local ISP provides/terminates a RJ11 connection to your home. In my country, our local ISP provides/terminates broadband lines to homes via RJ45 cables. Hence, I don't need a WIC-1ADSL card.

By the way, since your home Internet package doesn’t come with a fixed/static Public IP Address, with dynamic Public IP Address is completely fine too. You might want to enable the DDNS feature in your Cisco Router 1721.

Lastly, if you were to ask me, I won’t purchase the VPN module for your Cisco Router 1721 (Part Num. MOD1700-VPN). I mean of course it’s good to have it, but do you really need it. After all, your Cisco Router 1721 will be deployed as a home router, with very little users. If the person selling you the VPN module is giving at a cheap price, take it then, otherwise if it breaks your budget, you can skip it all together. I’m guessing the price of a VPN module in a Cisco Router 1721 ~ MOD1700-VPN these days would be around USD 50.

Note: The items stated above i.e. Cisco Router 1721 and VPN Module all no longer supported by Cisco. These products have reached its'  EOS/EOL

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps221/prod_end-of-life_notice0900aecd8044473f.html. Hence, you could use this point alone, to bargain for a cheaper price from your reseller :-)

P/S: If you think this comment is useful, please do rate it nicely :-)

Warm regards,
Ramraj Sivagnanam Sivajanam
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card