cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IDS in a Virtualized Environment (vmware)

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Can anyone elaborate on an IDS solution for a virtualized environment?

I have blade servers running ESX/ESXi - heavily virtualized environment. Im using blade switches as chassis I/O - no pass throughs.

The requirement is to run an IDS service such that VM-to-VM traffic is monitored. The traffic flow can be between two VMs on the same blade, 2 VMs on two separate blades in the same chassis, or two VMs on two separate chasses...

In that case, I see 3 traffic flows off the bat...

same blade: vm-to-vm traffic is switched by a hypervisor switch (1000v or vmware vDS).

different blades in same chassis: vm-to-vm traffic will leave blade and be switched by chassis hardware switch (chassis I/O blade).

different chassis: vm-to-vm traffic will have to go to ToR (maybe even end-of-row).

NOTE: if VMs are on different VLANs, traffic will always go to end-of-row/agg switches (the L3/L2 boundary).

So given all those possible flows, what is the best way to go about deploying an IDS service? Placement? Virtual or physical? etc....

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Pulkit Nagpal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Moving it to Security community for them to have a look

Pulkit Nagpal

Technical Support Community Manager - Routing and Switching

This topic was disccussed in this thread from last week:

(too bad we can't merge threads)

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2092838?tstart=30

- Bob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card