Views
Helpful
Replies

Image for old 506e Pix firewall

cjuillerat
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I acquired an old Cisco 506e firewall and it has an enable password set on it. The firewall used to be in a production environment where I work, but has been sitting on the shelf for several years. I wanted to get some hands on practice with firewalls so I am attempting to restore the firewall to factory default. The only problem I am having is:

1. I do not have an ios image for the firewall. 

2. When I press escape during the boot process I only have the option to run tests and to configure, but I cannot do anything after this besides press space to boot the firewall. 

Can antone point me in the right direction or help out with the software since this is for personal learning?

thanks,

Cory 

6 Replies 6

I can't provide you with an image. But also if you had one, practicing with a PIX 506e is wasted time IMHO. If you want to practice MS Windows, you also wouldn't start with Win 3.1 ... ;-)

This device is too old to do anything useful with it.

Hello Karsten,

Thank you for the reply. My intentions for the device was just to learn some basics about setting up a firewall. I just shelled out close to $500.00 on equipment I am going to build a lab with to practice for the CCNA. 

My lab is 3 2811 routers, 2 3550 switches, and a 2960 switch. I was going to use the firewall somewhere in my lab just to see what it could do. 

Thanks,

Cory

Also, a 3570 switch. 

You can run an ASAv unlicensed (i.e. no cost) with full features and modern syntax that exactly matches the ones you need to learn for CCNA Security (not so much)  and CCNP Security (quite a bit).

You can do that on a small free ESXi server and get a LOT more functionality. The limitation is that it only handles 100 kbps of throughput without a license.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa92/asav/quick-start/asav-quick/intro-asav.html

Do you need a service contract in order to download the ASAv software? From what I can see you do.. 

You do need some entitlement.

If you or your company does not have it, you should be able to contact your local Cisco SE or partner SE to provide the software for you.

There is no cost thought for the unlicensed software.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card