cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inside Outside IP the same?

geelsu
Level 1
Level 1

I have inherited a PIX 525 environment and I need to document a lot of stuff to catch-up on what is going on.  I was gathering IP address information and ran "show interface outside" and "show interface inside" and noticed the same IP assigned to both.  I checked the MAC address and they are different.  This IP is also listed as the Management IP.  So I am sort of confused.  What condition would warrant both the inside interface and outside interface along with the Management IP having the same IP?

The PIX and the hosts it comms it monitors do live in a VLAN controlled by a Brocade switch which also is our gateway out.

Can someone help me understand this IP address senario?

Thanks to all

PIX Version 7.1(1)

ASDM Version 5.1(1)

5 Replies 5

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Can you share some configurations from the PIX firewall?

- Jouni

Sure.  I will have to hand-type it since it is on a secure network not attached and not attached to the Internet.  Let me know what you would like.

Hi,

I'm mostly wondering about the whole thing about same IP address being on 2 different interfaces. I think it should not even be possible to configure a Cisco firewall in that way.

- Jouni

Is the firewall running in transparent  mode or routed  mode?  In transparent mode the difference between inside and outside the the switch vlans, not the traffic addresses.  What does show firewall  say?

-- Jim Leinweber, WI State Lab of Hygiene

Hey James, and all,

Sorry for the major delay to your question.  I checked and it is indeed running in transparent mode.  I am not sure what that means, but will do some research on it.

George

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card