Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing CSM3.3.1

Hello,

I have to intall CSM 3.3.1, I know all requirements but the servers administrator offers a Windows 2008R2 server with the VMWare Esx 5.0. My question is if I can install CSM in this server.

The administrator could give me a Windows Server 2003 but in the VMWare Esx5.0.

Thanks. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can install CSM 4.4.unlicensed and use it for up to 90 days. Once you license arrives simply apply it and no additional changes would be required.

If you install 3.3 you will need to migrate data to new version, migrate to a 64-bit server plus reinstall clients. Also the look and feel and functionality is a good bit different with 4.x.

CSM 3.3 can manage your ASA 8.2 firewalls (but not any 8.3 or above). It does NOT support IPS 7.2 - only up to 7.0

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

CSM 3.3.1 requires Server 2003 and explicitly does not support 64-bit operating systems (e.g., Server 2008 R2). See the Install guide here.

Regarding setting it up on Server 2003 with ESX 5.0, I'm not sure if it will know the difference installing on a Windows Server 2003 guest under ESX5.0 (vs. the supported 3.5).

Is there a reason why you are installing 3.3.1? It's pretty old (released October 2011) and will not support current ASA software versions (anything past 8.2) and the current version of CSM (4.4) offers significant improvements and changes.

Hello,

Yes it is very old, I already request the last version of CSM but until my request arrive I am thinking install this old version. I have firewalls ASA with software version 8.2 and IPS with software version 7.2, that means with CSM 3.3.1 I can't manage these devices?

Thanks for the help.

You can install CSM 4.4.unlicensed and use it for up to 90 days. Once you license arrives simply apply it and no additional changes would be required.

If you install 3.3 you will need to migrate data to new version, migrate to a 64-bit server plus reinstall clients. Also the look and feel and functionality is a good bit different with 4.x.

CSM 3.3 can manage your ASA 8.2 firewalls (but not any 8.3 or above). It does NOT support IPS 7.2 - only up to 7.0

Hello Marvin,

I will install CSM 4.4 unlicensed like you say until my license arrives. All features are available using unlicensed CSM?

Thanks.

Pretty much so. As long as you don't need to manage more than 50 devices. Per the 4.4 installation guide:

90-day Evaluation License

If you provide no license during installation, the resulting installation will be an evaluation version. You can also select Evaluation Only during installation. Refer to Installing Security Manager Server, Common Services, and AUS.

The evaluation license is limited to 50 devices.

The evaluation license provides the same privileges as the Professional Edition licenses, except that you cannot apply incremental licenses to the evaluation version.

Hello Marvin,

I will install CSM 4.4 until my license arrives, thanks a lot for the help.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card