cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Audit

shillings
Level 4
Level 4

My understanding is that IPS and CX cannot be combined. And that Cisco will add IPS functionality into the CX in the future.

In the meantime, I wonder what forum members think of the basic IPS functionality in the ASA, namely the 'ip audit' commands. I don't know much about this, other than you can't update the signatures, so am curious how effective it is?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've never seen this feature used in any installations I've worked with. Given its extremely limited functionality I'd be hesitant to recommend it.

I believe CX and IPS (not IPS as part of CX but rather both operating simultaneously) will be in a future release of ASA software.

If the requirement was immediate, there are several other alternatives - IPS appliance (Cisco or 3rd party such as Sourcefire whose acquisition by Cisco was just announced), IOS IPS sensor in an external router, use IPS on ASA but offload content security to WSA or Cloudscan, etc. etc.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've never seen this feature used in any installations I've worked with. Given its extremely limited functionality I'd be hesitant to recommend it.

I believe CX and IPS (not IPS as part of CX but rather both operating simultaneously) will be in a future release of ASA software.

If the requirement was immediate, there are several other alternatives - IPS appliance (Cisco or 3rd party such as Sourcefire whose acquisition by Cisco was just announced), IOS IPS sensor in an external router, use IPS on ASA but offload content security to WSA or Cloudscan, etc. etc.

Thanks Marvin. I have never seen it in the field either. Hopefully Cisco can get the CX to work with the existing IPS fairly soon.

Thanks for the Sourcefire info too - interesting. I wonder if their technology will filter into the CX, when Cisco say they will add IPS functionality to the CX.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card