cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPS etherchannel load balancing design

revolwireless
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to do a etherchannel load balancing with the design attached? i know I need to configure vlan pairs but I'm not sure if it's possible with my current design

3 Replies 3

gaurash2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Etherchannel design will work with interface pair as well ,provided the design is appropriate to take care of the asymmetry.

Coming to your design, if i understand the requirement correctly, you wish to create etherchannel between 3750 stacked switch and the pair of CAT6K. Enabling VSS on the pair of CAT6K switches and then creating etherchannel should help.But the flow symmetry will not be guaranteed ( meaning the same IPS may not see the forward and the reverse packets of the flow).

Are you sure it's possible with interface pair, from my reading it said only with vlan pairs. Symmetry will either be achieved with OSPF or using FHRP

The CAT6K do not support VSS they are seperate but the FWSMs in them act as active/standby

Yes it will work. Consider the following topology:

It will work for static port channel as well as LACP based Port channel.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: