cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is the REST API on FP 2130 with ASA 9.20.2 supported?

PeterLMSD
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to install the REST API  "asa-restapi-7161-lfbff-k8.SPA" on a FP 2130 with 7.20.2 and I am receiving this error.

rest-api image disk0:/asa-restapi-7161-lfbff-k8.SPA

/bin/sh: /asa/scripts/install_iso.sh: No such file or directory
ERROR: Failed to mount image, installation unsuccessful

I can run the same SPA on a 5506-X, but it seems the FirePower 2130's don't support the REST API at all?

Also extracted out:

asa-restapi-720216-lfbff-k8.SPA

From the ASAv 9.20.2 ESX Image, and that gave the same error on the FP 2130. But that newer version of the SPA file is not available for download anywhere.

Is the rest API only now supported on the ASAv, and depreciated everywhere else?

2 Replies 2

This is quite interesting.  It looks as though the REST API package is only supported on Cisco ASA 5500 devices and the ASAv.  The package does not seem to be available for the newer Firepower devices. At least the download is not available for any of the FP1000, FP2100, and FP3100 (I stopped checking after 3100 but assume the issue is the same for the rest of the devices.)

There is also no specific mention that it is not supported for the Firepower devices running ASA software.  What I did notice is that there is mention that the name of the REST API package has been changed to reflect the ASDM software version it is supported on.  So if that package you are trying to install is infact supported on the Firepower device, then it might only be supported on ASDM software version 7.16(1)

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

I have just logged a TAC case as well as it seems to be the case that the whole FirePower series of hardware isn't supported.

Seems weird that it isn't supported, and I don't think it's related to the ASA or ASDM version as I have tried mixing and matching all sorts of different versions on my test bench 5506-X  

Using different versions of ASDM from 7.16, 7.18 and 7.20(2) there doesn't seem to be any hard dependency with the versions of the REST client "asa-restapi-7161-lfbff-k8.SPA" and "asa-restapi-718175-lfbff-k8.SPA" and "asa-restapi-720216-lfbff-k8.SPA" that I extracted from the ASAv images boot.vmdk and they all seem to work as expected.

It just doesn't work at all on the FirePower 2130.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card