cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Managing logical device ASA from Firepower 4120 physical management port

gb7832
Level 1
Level 1

I can't find any documentation that this is doable. 

It seems that I need to burn one of the 8 ports to manage the logical ASA directly.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That's correct. The physical management port is for management of the chassis.

Logical devices need to have a port assigned from among the interfaces allocated to them. If it's an ASA logical device, you can allow management from a data interface.

View solution in original post

The part about needing to allocate an interface for management of an FTD logical device is true.

The difference is that an FTD device must have a dedicated management/eventing interface to talk to the managing FMC. You don't have the option of relying solely on the "inside" or other such interface like you can with an ASA logical device.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That's correct. The physical management port is for management of the chassis.

Logical devices need to have a port assigned from among the interfaces allocated to them. If it's an ASA logical device, you can allow management from a data interface.

Thanks for the confirmation. 

Is this, also, true if my logical device is FTD?

The part about needing to allocate an interface for management of an FTD logical device is true.

The difference is that an FTD device must have a dedicated management/eventing interface to talk to the managing FMC. You don't have the option of relying solely on the "inside" or other such interface like you can with an ASA logical device.

Awesome info!  Thanks Marvin!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card