cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Memory Upgrade...

jacobdixon
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but I didn't see one related to hardware upgrades.

I have two ASA 5510 running verion 8.0(5) with 256MB of RAM. I need to upgrade it and was going to go ahead and upgrade to ASA5510-MEM-1GB. I see that with version 8.2 you can upgrade the memory in one ASA at a time.

Can I upgrade the secondary first and then failover and then upgrade the primary? Will this work with the version OS I am running?

2 Replies 2

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, if you are running failover, you won't be able to keep the failover active/enabled when you are upgrading the memory because failover checks that the memory must be the same to keep it active.

I would suggest that you:

- turn the failover off on both firewalls, save the config and shutdown the secondary firewall.

- upgrade the memory on the secondary firewall.

- power the secondary up and check that the memory has been upgraded (show version)

- when secondary is up, power the primary down.

- upgrade the memory on the primary firewall.

- power primary firewall up, and check that memory has been upgraded

- turn failover back on both firewalls.

There would be slight glitch in your network as failover is turned off so connection might be dropped and reinitiated through the firewall as the states are not synchronized. I would strongly suggest that this work is performed during a maintenance window.

Hope that helps.

gurpsin2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jacob,

You can upgrade the secondary standby first to 1 gb and them make it active , then the primary, once both are at 1gb, failover will again work, i suggest u do this activity during downtime n unplug failover cable to avoid active- active situation

Regards

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card