Views
Helpful
Replies

migration from FMC (2500) FMCv (VMware)

J. H.
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

FMC2500 is going to be EoL soon so we've decided to migrate to FMCv instead, since we already have all the hardware we need in
our VMware datacenters.

Current setup:
2 x FMC2500 (in HA mode) v7.0.4(55).

New setup, migration to virtual machines in VMware:
FMCv v7.0.4(55).

Steps taken:
1. Installed the same version on FMCv in VMware as our older FMC2500. Version 7.0.4(55).
2. Made backup from FMC2500.
3. Uploaded the backup from FMC2500 to the FMCv.
4. Started RESTORE from the FMCv using the uploaded backup-file.
This gives the following error message: “Error: Product model mismatch”.
We also get the same error message when using the larger FMCv300 image instead (which is overpowered for our use case).

Have anyone else migrated from FMC to FMCv? Any tips on what to do?

Regards,
J.

1 Accepted Solution
6 Replies 6

Thanks Mavin, 

Is any further steps require after fooling the fmc and  restore the backup on target device ?
do we need migration tools ?

@Fmoo 

Use the model migration tool (in conjunction with the work around I already linked).

The tool is documented here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/fmc_model_migration/b_FMC_Model_Migration_Guide/m_fmc_migration_workflow.html

@Marvin Rhoads 

After fooling the fmc I am still getting error message this error ''Restore will not be available: Product model mismatch'' while  i try to restore.

You should be using the model migration tool - not a straight restore. The script in the migration tool will allow restore onto a different model.

J. H.
Level 1
Level 1

I changed the model to 2600 in our case and now the migration tool started to do its job.
Highly appreciated advice, thank you!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card