cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Move fmc or reinstall

moskalevas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, i have fmc virtual, he works fine. The task is move fmc in other side (cloud), ip address will different, how make it that would, no lose access my ftd device, and save license? maybe who have instruction?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here's how I would do it:

Go into each managed device in the FMC GUI and make management inactive. Perform a current FMC backup.

Then go into each managed device at the cli and "configure manager delete".

Shutdown and move the FMC (either restore from backup or vMotion depending on your environment).

Configure the new IP address on FMC and then make management active for each device.

Then go into each managed device at the cli and "configure manager add..." using the new FMC address and same shared key that was originally used.

Verify the devices all re-register. Once they do, redeploy policies to sync everything.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here's how I would do it:

Go into each managed device in the FMC GUI and make management inactive. Perform a current FMC backup.

Then go into each managed device at the cli and "configure manager delete".

Shutdown and move the FMC (either restore from backup or vMotion depending on your environment).

Configure the new IP address on FMC and then make management active for each device.

Then go into each managed device at the cli and "configure manager add..." using the new FMC address and same shared key that was originally used.

Verify the devices all re-register. Once they do, redeploy policies to sync everything.

Thanks for the answer, Marvin, I have 2 ftd devices in HA pair, am I just deleting them from fmc (delete)? And, if I forgot the key that I used when adding ftd to fmc, what nuances can there be when using the new key, or can I see it somewhere?

The plain text keys are not stored once the registration is done. So if you've lost them you may need to delete and re-add the devices in FMC.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-security/re-register-key-for-a-source-fire-module/td-p/2825256

You might want to open a TAC case and see if they can help with more tailored suggestions.

What if you keep the same IP for the restored FMC? I ask because making the managed devices "unmanaged" will take down site-to-site VPNs, would it not? Making turning them back on remotely impossible.

How can your FMC have the same address if you move it from an on premises subnet to the cloud?

Also, as I mentioned before, "You might want to open a TAC case and see if they can help with more tailored suggestions."

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card